Cough : A rapid expulsion of air from the lungs, typically in order to clear the lung airways of fluids, mucus or other material. Medicinenet.com
The cough may not kill me (although at times when I‘ve been gasping for breath I’ve wondered) but it’s amazing the neighbours haven’t
I’ve been coughing loudly and uncontrollably for getting on to a fortnight now. Firstly from the chest infection I had and now from the post viral irritation. I live in a complex of town houses and am sure that the neighbours must be just about ready to strangle me. Especially as the worst of the coughing starts around 3pm as the air starts to cool and continues until I finally manage to get to sleep. I’m assuming it must ease off then – well at least it doesn’t bother me then anyway. When I actually manage to get to sleep that is. Then of course when I wake up it starts again until I’ve been up and about for an hour or so
- I’ve tried all the recommended treatments. I had a course of antibiotics to clear the infection and now I’m using a Pulmicort puffer to try to help.
- I’ve stayed hydrated. Sipping water does seem to help to stop the cough a little but while it’s good to drink plenty of water it isn’t practical to sip away every couple of minutes all day long.
- I’ve drunk litres of honey and lemon drinks
- I’ve had many a hot steamy shower
- I have an oil burner and am burning a blend designed to assist with breathing easier.
- I’ve sucked dozens of lozenges
- I’ve been resting (hard not too really as I’m so tired from the infernal coughing and lack of sleep )
- I’m taking a probiotic
- I’ve been using pineapple and ginger in my morning smoothie ( the bromelain in pineapples is supposed to help ) .
Guess I’m just going to have to ride it out …… maybe I should present all the neighbours with ear plugs?????